AnneOnCollege.net

Learning something new every day!

About Me...

In June 2007 I decided to look into returning to school for my Bachelor's degree. I had been managing okay with my Associate's degree, but the idea of moving back home [South Florida] without more education under my belt was not so appealing. By the end of July I had started my first class. Two years later I am five classes away from completing that degree and my oldest child is about to start her college journey. View my complete profile

About This Blog...

With this blog I hope to share some of what I have learned through my experiences as an online student and now, mom of a college student. Here you will find great scholarships, student deals, and other information to help with your voyage into higher education. Happy Studying!

Is Going Back to School the Right Thing for Me?

This is something I asked myself on more than one occasion. After high school I enrolled at my local community college. I soon dropped out. After thirteen years of school my heart was not into it. Instead I got my first full time job as a bank teller and started a family, unexpectedly. I was 19.

Two kids later, I decided it was time to return to school. Again I went to my local community college and enrolled; this time I was ready. Deciding I like working with numbers Accounting was a logical choice for me. My mom's heart was set on my obtaining a Bachelor's and possibly becoming a CPA. My heart was set on making it through school and taking it one day at a time. After two and a half years I left school with my Associates and my third child.

Thirteen yeas later, in the summer of 2007, I decided once again it was time to finish what I started all those years ago. I now live in a rural area with the nearest school an hour away. This time going back to school was going to be a different kind of challenge.

The decision to return to school was not made lightly. There were certain criteria to be met: flexible schedule, accreditation (very important), and cost. Traditional college was not going to be an option for me. So I set my sights on online schools. This was not as simple as one might think.

I looked into University of Phoenix first, but never applied. Then Liberty University was mentioned to me. I am not religious but it is nearby, offers online courses, and I know it is a legitimate school. The only drawback was the number of biblical study courses I would have to take. I applied and was accepted. Then someone mentioned Keiser University out of Ft. Lauderdale. I checked them out. They are a brick and mortar school and offer online courses. But there was one twist; you take one course each month instead of multiple courses at the same time for several months at a time. This sounded perfect for me.

I had completed my FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) while deciding on my school. The FAFSA generates a number based on your income. The Financial Aid department uses this number to determine the type(s) of loans you are best suited for and if you qualify for any grants or scholarships. By having this completed I was able to enroll in school and set up my loans within thirty days.

Today I have one year to go until I finish with my Bachelor's in Accounting. This has not been an easy road. Commitment is key, as well as time. If you are not committed to the long term and time is something you are not willing to give up, then this may not be the best thing for you.

If you are ready to take the next step, then remember to do your homework on each school. Make sure your area of study is available and there is staff willing to assist you along the way. Check out my other blog articles for scholarship sites and the link to FAFSA. Good luck!
blog comments powered by Disqus


Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Photobucket

Jeep

Fall Flowers

Panda eating

Spare Change

Ivy Dog

Birthday Cake

Red Converse

Swing

  
Angie’s List - Find thousands of unbiased ratings and reviews on service companies in your area, join Angie’s List today.

research on grants, scholarships, colleges, legitimate work at home opportunities