AnneOnCollege.net

Learning something new every day!

About Me...

In June 2007 I decided to look into returning to school for my Bachelor's degree. I had been managing okay with my Associate's degree, but the idea of moving back home [South Florida] without more education under my belt was not so appealing. By the end of July I had started my first class. Two years later I am five classes away from completing that degree and my oldest child is about to start her college journey. View my complete profile

About This Blog...

With this blog I hope to share some of what I have learned through my experiences as an online student and now, mom of a college student. Here you will find great scholarships, student deals, and other information to help with your voyage into higher education. Happy Studying!

What I Learned Wednesday - Let's Talk About Sex, Baby

Join the fun, post what you learned this week, and link up below. The code for the image is located in my sidebar. All I ask is you link back to this post. Oh, and make sure you link to your post and not your blog in general, okay?

That got your attention, didn't it? It is so not what you were thinking when you stumbled upon this post today. This past week we learned about sexual harassment in the workplace. Interesting stuff, to say the least.

Did you know that sexual harassment does not have to have any sexual overtones? Really. A great example would be a woman working in a male-dominated field such as construction. If the men harass this woman just because she is a woman, say things like 'you can't do this or that as well as a man' then that is construed as sexual harassment.

Sexual harassment in the form of you do this for me and I do that for you is called 'quid pro quo'. And when it creates an abusive, offensive, or intimidating environment it is considered creating a 'hostile work environment' [see construction example above].

If you give in to a sexual relationship then remove yourself from said relationship and lose your job, position, or are otherwise punished it still is sexual harassment. It does not matter that you once consented.

This should not be carte blanc for everyone to go and complain of harassment that is nonexistent. If your boss [or any other co-worker] creates an unpleasant work environment by issuing unwelcome remarks or gestures, then you should speak to the person next in line. If that does not solve your issue, then you should look into your company's policy regarding these types of situations. Know your rights and things will go much smoother in your work environment.

What have you learned this week? Grab the button from my sidebar, then add a link to your post below using MckLinky. Not sure how to link up? Leave a comment or send me an email (or both) and I will happily walk you through it.






Search & Win
blog comments powered by Disqus


Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Photobucket

Jeep

Fall Flowers

Panda eating

Spare Change

Ivy Dog

Birthday Cake

Red Converse

Swing

  
Angie’s List - Find thousands of unbiased ratings and reviews on service companies in your area, join Angie’s List today.

research on grants, scholarships, colleges, legitimate work at home opportunities