AnneOnCollege.net

Learning something new every day!

About Me...

In June 2007 I decided to look into returning to school for my Bachelor's degree. I had been managing okay with my Associate's degree, but the idea of moving back home [South Florida] without more education under my belt was not so appealing. By the end of July I had started my first class. Two years later I am five classes away from completing that degree and my oldest child is about to start her college journey. View my complete profile

About This Blog...

With this blog I hope to share some of what I have learned through my experiences as an online student and now, mom of a college student. Here you will find great scholarships, student deals, and other information to help with your voyage into higher education. Happy Studying!

What I Learned Wednesday - Derivatives & Options

Join the fun, post what you learned this week, and link up below. The code for the image is located in my sidebar. All I ask is you link back to this post. Oh, and make sure you link to your post and not your blog in general, okay?

Okay, so this is not so much what I learned, but what I have not learned Wednesday.  My current class is Money and Banking.  I like my professor, this is my second class with him.  The first was Microeconomics when I first started pursuing this particular degree.  But the subject matter is beyond my comprehension, right now.  This past week we learned about derivatives and options, futures and currency rate exchanges.  I read and re-read and re-read some more.  Huh?  I am so confused.

All of these actions have to do with hedging.  Hedging is just a fancy word for betting against a future event.  One that you hope to occur in your favor and make you lots of money in the process.  This also is one of the biggie reasons for our current economic, ahem, condition.

Although I understand the basic premise, I have yet to fully grasp the ins and outs of such practices.  I do understand the need to guesstimate when dealing with foreign currency exchanges at a future date in time.  Aha!  Future.  This would be considered hedging against futures.  But what I do not quite understand is why it all has to be so complicated.  It is as if it is written in some code only a select few can crack.  Because, quite honestly, even those who handle these transactions every day cannot possibly know all the idiosyncrasies and implications of such transactions.   

Sigh.  I hope you have done better than me this week.  Why not share with a link to your post?  Don't blog?  Leave a comment instead.

What have you learned this week? Grab the button from my sidebar, then add a link to your post below using MckLinky. Not sure how to link up? Leave a comment or send me an email (or both) and I will happily walk you through it.


Search & Win


blog comments powered by Disqus


Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Photobucket

Jeep

Fall Flowers

Panda eating

Spare Change

Ivy Dog

Birthday Cake

Red Converse

Swing

  
Angie’s List - Find thousands of unbiased ratings and reviews on service companies in your area, join Angie’s List today.

research on grants, scholarships, colleges, legitimate work at home opportunities