AnneOnCollege.net

Learning something new every day!

About Me...

In June 2007 I decided to look into returning to school for my Bachelor's degree. I had been managing okay with my Associate's degree, but the idea of moving back home [South Florida] without more education under my belt was not so appealing. By the end of July I had started my first class. Two years later I am five classes away from completing that degree and my oldest child is about to start her college journey. View my complete profile

About This Blog...

With this blog I hope to share some of what I have learned through my experiences as an online student and now, mom of a college student. Here you will find great scholarships, student deals, and other information to help with your voyage into higher education. Happy Studying!

Reflections and Contemplations

book girl
Today I reflected on my return to college. Actually, I do this a lot lately given my non-job status and accumulation of student loans. I am thankful I do not have to pay the majority of these back until after I graduate. Small consolation given my oldest will be graduating high school this year and starting her college career in the Fall. Sigh.

So, in my reflections and contemplations I think about how my future degree will impact my future career, truly. Or maybe it is the contemplation of the existence of any future career. There are more and more layoffs each day. People are starting to dumb down their qualifications just to avoid being passed over for a position they are more than qualified to perform. This is something I recently decided to do. Sad thing is, I do not have that high of qualifications. I have tons of experience. I am capable of doing so much. I cannot find a job.

I by no means regret the decision to return for my degree or feel education is unnecessary. Quite the opposite, really. I love learning. I want to learn so many things. I want to finish my Bachelors and get my Masters. If I am still unemployed my Masters will have to wait, but it will be something I do pursue. I want to get my Bachelors in something completely different than finance or accounting or even business. I want to return and possibly study computer technology. I am good with problem solving. I like taking apart computers, laptops, you name it. I have looked into the courses needed. Some day.

As I contemplate my future prospects and opportunities I also try to find what it is I want to do for the rest of my life. Is it accounting? Is it computers? Is there something else? Am I missing something? Do I even know what I want to be when I grow up? So many questions needing answers. And regardless of this I am optimistic. There is doom and gloom on the news every day. My husband was recently laid off. Neither of us is working and I am optimistic. Something good is on the horizon. This education thing will pay off. Maybe not in the way I first intended, but it will pay off.

So, if you are contemplating your education, think about what is it you want. What do you want to gain from this pursuit? Will it improve your career, life, outlook? Or is this something you want to do for you? And, if money is a problem check out some of my earlier posts on where you can learn something new at no cost. What I have determined is the economy will rise and fall and I will have little control over that. But I have full control over my personal betterment. Now I need to study for my final in project management. Then it is on to managerial/cost accounting. Only one more year.

blog comments powered by Disqus


Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Photobucket

Jeep

Fall Flowers

Panda eating

Spare Change

Ivy Dog

Birthday Cake

Red Converse

Swing

  
Angie’s List - Find thousands of unbiased ratings and reviews on service companies in your area, join Angie’s List today.

research on grants, scholarships, colleges, legitimate work at home opportunities